Re: Mass rebuild failures only on ppc64le: glibc problem?

Status update:

Nick has pushed binutils-2.29-3.fc27, which disables the binutils change
by default.  (There is still an ld option to enable it.  Hopefully, no
packages use that yet.)

Just rebuilding glibc is insufficient as a fix.  The localentry
optimization is so sensitive to changes that glibc-using packages which
have been linked in a particular way have to be rebuilt.

I have patched symboldb to record the bits which ld uses to mark symbols
as localentry symbol references (which is the same information that the
glibc dynamic linker uses to generate those pesky errors).  A new Fedora
important is currently running.  Afterwards, I will use this data to do
targeted manual rebuilds of core packages which are affected by the
internal localentry optimization incompatibility of glibc.

Rebuilds are currently blocked on a new buildroot with some RPM
debuginfo generation fixes.  Rumor has it that there is an unrelated
issue which prevents buildroot updates.

releng has agreed to a second mass rebuild (for non-noarch packages),
but Paul Frields asked for it to be delayed, due to other tasks, such as
the pagure dist-git migration.  I think we can accommodate this as long
as there is not too much update churn in rawhide before the new mass
rebuild, triggering the new ABI incompatibilities.

Florian