Re: Recompiling/relinking dependent applications/libraries on DSO change

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 01:39:50PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> binutils 2.29 introduced an optimization which requires that in the
> general case, applications and libraries linking against a DSO will have
> to be rebuilt when the DSO change the implementation of functions (i.e.,
> changes to a function body can change ABI).  This is how many native
> programming languages (such as Ada, Haskell/GHC, Go, Rust) handle DSOs,
> but it's a material change for C and C++.

Can you elaborate on what sort of change in the function body would
affect the ABI and thus require relinking ?  Having to relink every
time the internal impl of an ABI changes would seem to throw away one
of the main benefits of using shared libs, over static libs and be
pretty unpleasant as a result.

Libvirt, for example, has never changed any existing public API contract
or definition in 10 years of releases, but we do often change the internal
impl of these APIs. Apps have never had to relink against libvirt.so upon
new release, so I would not want that to see that change.

Regards,
Daniel