Re: Blocker bug process proposal: waiving late-discovered blockers to next release

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 10:02:09AM +0200, Kamil Paral wrote:
> But all of that above is a separate problem. What I'd like to understand is
> why you think existing bugs should be treated differently from new bugs.
> What is the rationale? And if you want to treat them differently, then how?

I think they're *clearly* different when it comes to delaying the
release. If a bug is not currently affecting anyone, delaying stops it
from becoming a user problem. If a bug is already a user problem,
delaying doesn't help those people — and just hurts everyone else who
would benefit from the release.

> Because if we accept new problem A as a blocker, but waive problem B
> because it has already existed for some time, even though they have
> completely equal impact on users, then without any other means to push for
> B resolution during the lifetime of the fedora release, it's very likely
> that the problem will not get fixed. Do you see PrioritizedBugs as an
> efficient way to help this? Or something else?

Prioritized Bugs is one avenue. I'm open to other suggestions. I think
in general packagers and maintainers *do* care about the kinds of bugs
that are likely to be in this situation.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>