Re: git - wrong paths in documentation files

Hi, I prepared change in spec to store doc files under /usr/share/doc/git
directory and each doc file it is there only once now (earlier, there were some
docfiles multiples times inside various sub-packages). See [0]. In case you don't
want to change there anything, I will push it to master + F26 branches in dist-git.

I am thinking even about complete separation into the git-doc subpackage in future, which
would contain all man + doc files of all subpackages and its remove from requirements
of the main *git* rpm. But I guess it will not be welcomed change so I keep it as it is for now.

[0] https://github.com/pirat89/fedora-git-rpms/commit/e64e87550d4b04294acd849406243f0a0284275c

On 18.7.2017 07:10, Petr Stodulka wrote:
> Hi Todd,
> thanks for feedback.
>
> On 17.7.2017 20:57, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> Hi Petr,
>>
>> Petr Stodulka wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks, I am looking at the #1357438 BZ about broken links to "How to*" doc files and I am thinking, about the best solution of this. Problem is with using of %doc macro, which moves/copies doc files to specific directories of each subpackage. However the Makefile expects that will be used just one directory, where all documentation will be included.
>>>
>>> It can be fixed basically in two ways:
>>>
>>>  1) Do not use %doc macro and keep all Doc files under common directory,       e.g. /usr/share/doc/git/     ignoring the sub-package that install specific doc files.
>>>
>>>  2) Use sed for affected doc files to modify path correctly.
>>>
>>> The 1st method seems much better for me, because doc files will be together and in case of changes of doc files or another split/rename/merge of packages, it will be still OK. The 2nd method would provide incompatible solution in future when another changes in doc files will be provided or split of packages will be different.
>>>
>>> I haven't seen any requirement in packaging guidelines, that we have to put all files to specific directories bounded with specific subpackage, so why do not use '/usr/share/doc/git'?. The third option would be create symlink, but that solution seems ugly to me.
>>>
>>> What do you think? In case we will want to change filelist, I would prefer make this change in F26 yet too.
>>
>> I also think that all the docs belong in /usr/share/doc/git.
>
> Good to hear it. I made some changes locally already. But I found that doc files are split pretty messy
> as there are
>   - files stored duplicitly on various paths
>   - part of doc stored under subpackages and part inside *-doc package
>

>> There was a thread on either devel or packaging a year or so ago regarding interations between using %doc in %files and manually placing files in %docdir.  I don't know if that will come up here or not.  It's easy enough to check the rpm contents after any changes to the file list though.
>>

> I guess you think this thread:
>   https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/338
>
> As I see now even in guidelines, it is forbidden mix %doc macro with %_pkgdocdir in the same source rpm,
> so I will obsolete %doc macro completely.
>
> %doc macro in this case was not so good when there is so many doc files and subpackages.
> I will push private branch later into the dist-git for review when tests pass.
> Probably I will look at it again tomorrow to see what I did wrong.

Petr Stodulka
Core Services (In-place upgrades and migrations)
Red Hat