Re: F27 Self Contained Change: Authselect: new tool to replace authconfig

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM Tom Hughes <tom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/07/17 15:12, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM Tom Hughes <tom@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:tom@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 18/07/17 14:48, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>
>      > The default profile set will contain the following profiles:
>      >
>      > Local users + SSSD -- local users and remote users are handled by
>     sssd
>      > Local users + SSSD + Fingerprint -- same as above but also
>     pam_fprintd
>      > is enabled
>      > Local users + winbind -- local users are handled by files and remote
>      > users by winbind
>      > Local users + winbind + Fingerprint -- same as above but also
>      > pam_fprintd is enabled
>
>     No "local only" profiles for people that don't need sssd?
>
>     What is the effect of this on configurations that haven't been using
>     sssd at all? Is everything going to suddenly start blocking/timing out
>     on being unable to talk to it?
>

> Starting with F26, the default configuration is for all setups to be
> using SSSD. See
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SSSDCacheForLocalUsers

Well none of my newly upgraded F26 machines appear to be running it ;-)

I said "default". So for fresh installs this is the case.

> This is actually advantageous, since the previous behavior was that all
> access to local users previously had to hit the disk (unless nscd was
> manually configured). If SSSD isn't responding, nsswitch will fail back
> to the old behavior fairly quickly.

I normally disabled nscd as well because the caching was just way too
annoying...

SSSD's caching is a lot more reliable for local users than nscd, as it monitors all of the relevant files with inotify and will immediately flush its cache anytime a change occurs to those files. It also does a full cache when this happens, rather than on-demand, so the only time there should ever be a lag here is on a request the instant between when a change is made on the disk and SSSD reloads it (during this time, SSSD just doesn't cache at all and passes the request on to nss_files.so to answer straight from the disk).

Also, the SSSD cache in use isn't strictly dependent on the SSSD daemon running; if SSSD was to crash and be in the middle of restarting, the memory-mapped fast cache will continue on independently. So in theory, there really shouldn't be any downside to this change (and I encourage you to tweak your upgraded boxes to use the new configuration).