Re: No i686 kernel: Can we require SSE2 for i686?

On 07/12/2017 06:09 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
I still have (some) 32 bit hardware in use and I must say that I was
not aware of this zombie state. i686 kernels have been working fine for
me otherwise I would have likely stepped up to fix things (or if that
was too much work replace my last 32bit hardware), but I may just have
been lucky and never hit a bad kernel.

I help out a small school with all tech related issues. They were donated a pile of (I think) Pentium D desktops from another school that was upgrading theirs. I set up a computer lab for them running Fedora with a lighter WM and it's been working great. When I saw that mailing list post a while back, I took one of the computers home with me for testing purposes, but from my view so far, there has never been an issue with the 32-bit kernel or userspace that has needed investigation. More recently, we received some similar computers with Pentium 4 CPUs that we are using now. I upgraded them all to 2GB of RAM and they work fine for web browsing, LibreOffice, gcompris, etc.

Of course now that I checked the CPU flags, this whole email is irrelevant. Besides supporting SSE2 (which is what I was looking for), I just noticed they also have the x86-64 flag... I guess if this change goes through I will be looking into how to run a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userspace. We also still have a few laptops that are running 32-bit Fedora, but they don't have to and they will all be retired within a year anyway.

As an aside, I also have a wall-embedded touchscreen Geode computer, but it stopped being able to run Fedora a long time ago. I now have a buildroot system on it with the minimum to run an X server and remote display the app.