Re: Status report on Flatpaks in Fedora Infrastructure

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 8:47 PM, Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've just submitted a change proposal for creating Flatpaks out of Fedora package content:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Graphical_Applications_as_Flatpaks

This is submitted as a F27 change proposal, but it's expected that it will be multiple releases before everything in the final shape. My hope for Fedora 27 is that by the fall packagers will be able to start experimenting with making Flatpaks out of their graphical applications and there will be a small set of applications for users to install.

There is more extensive documentation about the technical plan at:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Flatpaks

Building Packages
Flatpaks require rebuilding applications and bundled dependencies to be located with a prefix of /app rather than /usr. We're using the infrastructure created for modules to rebuild packages, and it has worked out very smoothly so far. There are prototype runtime and application modules at:

 https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/modules/eog.git
 https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/modules/flatpak-runtime.git

Building Flatpaks out of Packages