[SONAME change] MySQL, MariaDB

Hello everybody!

Since MariaDB 10.2 is finally stable and I resolved all issues that blocked it for Fedora, I'd like to propose an update for Rawhide.

Current version of MariaDB: 10.1.24
Update planned to: 10.2.6 (or newer)

This change introduces change of library name from "libmysqlclient.so" to "libmariadb.so".
There are many dependant packages affected.

The current (optimistic) plan is to deliver the update before Fedora 27 mass rebuild at 12.7.2017.
Either the rebuild of all depending packages is inevitable.

-

We actively track the issue here. There is also a list of affected packages.
We have a work repository in COPR, where you can find builds of your packages here.

We go through all of the issues and we are trying to solve all of those, which are caused by the library change. More information will appear in bugzillas connected to the tracker.

Issues are also consulted with MariaDB upstream.
I was told, that there should be strong API and ABI compatibility.

-

Notes:
 - this means also drop of symlinks to "libmysqlclient.so.18.0.0" library.
 - the version of the library in MariaDB 10.2.6 is "mariadb.so.3", however in mariadb-connector-c it is only "mariadb.so.2". That should sync in next big update in about a month, I believe.

-

Feel free to ask any questinos here or in tracker BZ, I'll try to search for all answers.

--

Michal Schorm
Associate Software Engineer