Re: [Modularity] A proposal for stream naming

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 07:20:15PM +0200, Petr Šabata wrote:
> > > Sounds like the no-more-alphas Rawhide.  Such "latest" streams
> > > would drop major changes/rebases on the end users' systems.
> > > It makes sense to have this, especially for developers, but
> > > we should warn people that it's not the best choice for stable
> > > systems and that... it will eat their babies ;)
> > No, this should definitely not eat babies. (Even Rawhide doesn't do
> > that anymore. Usually.) And while automatic gating would be fine, it
> > wouldn't need to be.
> Given the response above it appears you understand streams
> somewhat differently.  Until now we've been operating with
> the assumption (and everything is coded that way) that streams
> map directly to branch names.  If you have a "latest" stream,
> you develop it in a branch called "latest".  If a user consumes
> this stream, their automatically get breaking changes because
> the "latest stable version" means different things at different
> times.  Hence the comparison to Rawhide.

It might be somewhat comparable to rawhide, but it definitely shouldn't
be _called_ rawhide, because that implies a tie to either rawhide as it
stands today or a rawhide version of the platform+host. Doesn't it?

> > > Are they bound to the artifact or could that depend on the
> > > context?  Like "this module will go EOL next year for standard
> > > Fedora and nobody will care to make it work with the latest
> > > Platform but we'll still support it in the context of this LTS
> > > spin / derived distro / whatnot".
> > If this is a thing, modularity hasn't really succeeded.
> I don't know how to respond to this.

The point of modularity is to separate application and stack lifecycle
from the platform. If we end up with per-platform application and stack
lifecycles in the end, that point isn't achieved at all.

> > This is partly why I described EOL as "EOL no earlier than" (thanks to
> > Langdon). I think the best thing to do in the case of a long extension
> > would be to create a new branch/stream with the new EOL. That's part of
> > why I think modules need to carry their own succession information,
> > too.
> Making people switch between update streams if the content they
> already consume becomes supported for longer doesn't feel like
> the best UX decision.  EOL shouldn't be tied to stream names.

Ok, I'm convinced on that point. But, EOL shouldn't be changed lightly,
either. Users (and spin/edition creators) should be able to trust
lifecycle statements.

> > current design. I guess one option would be for master to automatically
> > correspond to "latest major version, rolling release", but that
> > seems not as helpful as being explicit. Maybe "master" should just
> > contain a readme describing the various branches.
>
> Works for me.  Right now we use it for random development but
> that's because we're just starting with all this.

Is this something that could/should be enforced by policy in MBS?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>