Re: [Modularity] A proposal for stream naming

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 10:49:20AM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> To what extent do we want to encourage "collections of stuff" modules?
>
> Numerically, most modules will likely to be designed to be installed as
> containers or flatpaks because that's how we handle conflicting dependencies.
> If you leave those modules out, then you really have the constraint that
> every package has to be in no more than one module. We can't have
> "Matthew's System Tools" and "Owen's System Tools" that are independently
> curated, because they can't be enabled on the same system.

Well, we *can*. The question is whether we *should*. :)

I'm kind of on the "we shouldn't" side, but I could be convinced. My
intention is for anything that is in the System Tools module which gets
its own more focused module to be moved out.

> So my expectation is that the number of "collections modules" that have
> no strong connection to a particular upstream release process will be
> small and well defined - say Platform, Runtime, System Tools, and a few more.
> As such, I think it *would* be reasonable to say that they all
> are versioned at the same tempo and even keep the F<N> stream naming.

Langdon? Rebuttal? :)

> Hmmm, I see a couple of issues:
>
>  * If we have 'apache' with a stream of 2.4 and 'GNOME Desktop' with a
>    stream of 3.24, we can't have the stream name be the main way we
>    convey EOL information. So then it's just confusing that for *some*
>    modules the EOL is duplicated in the stream name.
>
>  * The ability to change the EOL for a stream is quite likely useful -
>    to decide it will have a longer support lifetime than originally
>    planned. It would be even more confusing to have *incorrect* EOL's
>    as the stream name.
>
>  * Aren't people in July 2018 going to think f1806 is the current stream,
>    not a two-year old stream?

Yeah that last one is pretty bad. I think all of this argues for a real
first-class EOL metadata item.

> If we need arbitrary stream names that are consistent across Fedora, I think
> release dates would be a lot clearer than EOL dates - EOL dates seem more
> clever than useful.

Okay, I'm convinced, as long as we can get lifecycle/EOL as a first-class
metadata item.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>