Re: how to handle source code from github

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 8:23 PM, Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You can set the name of the file via the GitHub API when you download it.
>
> For jQuery (packaged as js-jquery), I use:
> https://github.com/jquery/jquery/archive/%{version}/jquery-%{version}.tar.gz
>
> This will work for any GitHub project which tags released versions:
> https://github.com/<user-or-group>/<repo>/archive/<tag-commit-or-branch>/<preferred-file-name>.tar.gz
>
> For yours:
> https://github.com/maitra/thaali/archive/master/<preferred-file-name>.tar.gz
>
> But, you shouldn't use "master". You should be more specific about which
> commit you are using, for reproducibility:
> https://github.com/maitra/thaali/archive/7452ae99fe01e7cea6b70881c486775cd1b32186/<preferred-file-name>.tar.gz

Hello and sorry for reviving an old thread, but it was relevant.

Has github removed the capability to name the tarball whatever I
choose, or could I be doing something wrong?

I have tried downloading tarballs from 4 unrelated repositories using:
https://github.com/OWNER/%{name}/archive/%{commit0}.tar.gz#/%{name}-%{shortcommit0}.tar.gz
https://github.com/OWNER/%{name}/archive/%{commit0}/%{name}-%{shortcommit0}.tar.gz
https://github.com/OWNER/%{name}/archive/%{shortcommit0}/%{name}-%{shortcommit0}.tar.gz

and even:
https://github.com/OWNER/%{name}/archive/%{commit0}/foo.tar.gz

but I always end up with a %{name}-%{commit0}.tar.gz tarball.