Re: floppy-support being retired (was: Retiring Packages with Broken Dependencies in branched (2017-06-26))

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:03:09AM +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> till@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > floppy-support                 bruno                          162 weeks ago
>
> So are floppies now definitely a thing of the past according to Fedora?

This message is simply Fedora is saying that the package is being retired
because it has broken dependencies, which the maintainer has not fixed in
a timely manner. Perhaps the maintainer doesn't care about the package any
more, or doesn't have time for it, or any number of other reasons. That's
just one maintainer though. If someone else cares about this package,
they could volunteer to become maintainer, and fix the package, at which
point there is no requirement for it to be retired.

Now if the kernel's 'floppy' module is removed from the build, that would
be an explicit statement that floppies are no longer supported, but AFAIK,
all we've done in the kernel is turn off auto-loading of 'floppy' - it can
still be loaded explicitly.

Regards,
Daniel