Re: Xulrunner - intent to remove from Fedora 24

On 06/27/2017 06:50 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
Or port the app from Electron to WebKit, which seems to be the only web engine out there with a stable API.

WebKit is much lower-level than Electron; it requires C++ programming; and (from what I
heard in the JavaFX WebEngine group) updating to a new WebKit version was a fair
amount of work.

I recently ported the DomTerm terminal emulator to Electron and it is very nice
(multi-pane, menus, etc).  At this port the Electron port is the preferred port.

I think the best alternative at this time using Fedora packages is QtWebEngine.
I have a QtWebEngine port of DomTerm, but it is written in C++ and is more
verbose and harder to maintain.

The Qt ecosystem (QXML, QtScript, QtQuick, QtWebEngine) might be a good alternative
to Electron, but I haven't yet found documentation/example code that makes
it as simple and clear.  I probably haven't looked far enough.

Regardless, getting Electron packages for Fedora would be highly desirable.
--
	--Per Bothner