Re: Directory permissions for games

On 27/06/17 14:13, Rémi Verschelde wrote:

Where does the game save its files? Does it need to be in a shared
game repository, or does it save them in the user's home directory? If
the games need to be saved into a common space, then does the binary
need 2755 permissions in order to write to a shard directory? Not
sure, can't tell.

Although I cannot find a reference at a glance, I'd say that files under /usr/share are not expected to change during ordinary conditions. E. g., what if there are two users sharing the same data? If user needs to modify it, I'd think it might be better to copy the shared stuff to the user's home and change the private copy. Might be a problem if the data is big enough to make two copies unfeasible.

For what it's worth, on Mageia I have no permission problems
whatsoever with crawl. This spec file works just fine:

http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/crawl/current/SPECS/crawl.spec?view=markup

Files are saved in the user dir, as expected of any modern game.

Actually, the spec stores them in %_gamesdatadir a. k. a. /usr/share/games on mageia. IMHO, that's not a user directory.

> as expected of any modern game.

Indeed. Perhaps there is some magic copying as described above. Or, the game is actually sane and the game data is read-only as it should be.

Cheers!

--alec