Re: /usr/bin/qemu-kvm symlink

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 05:25:18PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was told [1] that /usr/bin/qemu-kvm is obsolete, and that the right
> thing is to use 'qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm', [...]

As Dan says, use libvirt.

However I want to point out that the advice above is also wrong: The
‘-enable-kvm’ option is obsolete, and that command would only work if
you were emulating x86_64, which is by no means the only architecture
which supports KVM.  Really you should use libvirt rather than trying
to formulate qemu command lines.

> 2. wouldn't it make sense to convince upstream to provide /usr/bin/qemu-kvm
>    which would mean "provide accelerated emulation of current architecture"?

Possibly, but what many people want is "be as fast as you can but
don't break if KVM isn't available", which is provided by the
‘-machine accel=kvm:tcg’ option, or by using libvirt capabilities to
discover what acceleration and emulation options are available on the
current host.

Rich.