Re: F27 System Wide Change: perl Package to Install Core Modules

On Fri, 2017-06-16 at 02:13 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 June 2017 at 20:05, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> > > What does "Recommends" do on upgrade?
> > >
> > > In other words if Recommends was used and a new perl version had
> > > new modules in
> > > the core package would an upgrade of perl pull them in as you
> > > would expect?
> > >
> > > I don't see how it can unless it also reinstalls ones the user
> > > had chosen to
> > > remove?
> >
> > You are correct, on upgrade it only updates packages currently on
> > the system. It
> > won't install new ones (except to satisfy new dependencies for
> > existing packages).
>
> No, actually it does try to pull in any missing Recommends:. That's
> why
> I have to add -x trousers to every dnf update I do. dnf keeps trying
> install it each time.
 mlschroe commented on Dec 12, 2016

Ah, it's a feature. Anyway, it's pretty impossible to fix.

The problem is that there is no information why bash-completion is not
installed. Is it because it was not available in the repos before? Or
it was not installable because some other installed packages conflicted
with it? Or some dependency could not be met at the time? Or the user
installed dnf with weak deps disabled? Or it was installed and got
deinstalled?

So we simply don't know what the reason is. Just ignoring the
Recommends is as wrong as installing it. Add the package to your
exclude list if you don't want to have it installed. (Or disfavor list
at some point in dnf's future...)

This is possible to fix on DNF's end, but it is complicated to
implement. So if you really want to have minimal system, set
install_weak_deps=false in dnf.conf and use --
setopt=install_weak_deps=true when installing packages.

> Regards,
> Dominik
> --
> Fedora http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rathann
> RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
> "Faith manages."
>         -- Delenn to Lennier in Babylon 5:"Confessions and
> Lamentations"

- --
- -Igor Gnatenko