Re: Package suggestions

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 10:49 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:41:15AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > > It'd be *nice* if there would be
> > > a maintained list, although I very much agree that it shouldn't be
> > > presented as something which a pool of developers are hovering over.
> >
> > It'd be nice, but I'd argue that a list that is perpetually ignored is
> > worse than no list at all. Without some kind of affirmative effort to
> > pop items off the stack, these sorts of things end up becoming a
> > frustrating graveyard of unfulfilled dreams.
>
> Yeah, this is one of the reasons wiki is the wrong tech. If someone
> _wanted_ to set up something like this to be actually functional, maybe
> something like http://www.phpback.org/ would be better (with user
> voting). I'm not suggesting that we set this up as official
> infrastructure, but if someone in the community wants to work on it, I
> think it *could* be useful.

I dunno, I think it'd make the effect worse. Imagine someone puts in
all the effort to build a nice app with user voting, and some package
gets added to it and gets 500 votes, and still doesn't get packaged
because no-one who actually does packaging is interested in it and
that's still how things actually *get packaged*; doesn't that feel
worse to everyone than an obscure wiki page? Maintainers all feel
vaguely bad that there's this really popular thing that someone
'should' package but no-one actually wants to. Users feel bad because
"why aren't you packaging this incredibly popular thing?!"

I feel like it'd only be a good idea to do if someone were to actually
commit to packaging at least the 'X most popular things on the list
every three months' or something, only then you start getting into
people gaming the voting system since it means something...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey