Re: Migrating sub-package to a different package: How to resolve file conflicts

On 06/12/2017 05:41 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Tom Stellard <tstellar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> You'll have to install the devel package at the same time you update to
>>> the new version of the base package. (Fortunately, DNF now again
>>> follows the yum convention of translating install to upgrade when you
>>> are asking to install an updated package.
>>>

>> The old base package: 'llvm' is being deprecated and is being moved
>> into 'llvm4.0' as a sub-package. For example:
>>
>> Before:
>> +llvm
>>   - llvm
>>   - llvm-devel
>>   - llvm-libs
>>   - llvm-static
>>   - llvm-doc
>>
>> After:
>>
>> + llvm (deprecated)
>>
>> +llvm4.0:
>>    -llvm4.0
>>   - llvm4.0-devel
>>   - llvm4.0-libs
>>   - llvm
>>   - llvm-devel
>>   - llvm-libs
>>   - llvm-static
>>   - llvm-doc
>>

> Why? What's the compelling reason to do this? And if we're doing this
> to llvm, are we going to do this to gcc, too?

I want to make it possible to have multiple versions of the LLVM
libraries installed at the same time.  The reason for this is that
all the various packages that depend on LLVM don't all have their
upstream move to the newest version at the same time.  This makes it
very difficult to get new versions of clang into Fedora, because we
get blocked until all the other packages (e.g. pocl, beignet, rust, etc.)
get support upstream for the latest version of LLVM.

My idea was to have separate llvm4.0, llvm5.0, llvm6.0, etc packages that
provided the versions libs, and I would like to have a llvm metapackage that
will pull in the most recent llvmX.0 package. I thought it would be easiest
to have the llvm-* packages as sub-packages of llvmX.0, because then I could
still have unversioned packages for things like static libs, all part
of a single build.

I thought bundling llvm-* sub-packages in llvmX.0 would be easiest, but
it's not something that is a requirement for me.  My main goal is to have
multiple LLVM versions installed at once.

No plans to do this for gcc, because gcc is only compiler not a library,
like LLVM, though I would like to do this for the clang libraries as well.

-Tom