Re: Exploded source tree

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 07:14:09AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> So what would be your workflow here? You would start update of the
> package by "fedpkg upload" to upload the new tarball and let dist-git to
> explode it? And what would be next?

First off, I don't think that the tarball should be stored in git.
Debian does that (with pristine-tar etc) and it's very complex.

So let's concentrate on projects where upstream already uses git
and where their tarball URLs can be derived from git release tags.

We fork the upstream git project to pagure.  We push our downstream
patches on top.

The automation could then simply add Patch<N> lines in the dist-git
spec file with a list of the patches and do a build.  I'm not sure how
that would be triggered - perhaps just by the act of pushing to
Pagure?

We'd also need branches in Pagure corresponding to branches of Fedora.

Getting the upstream tarball is trickier.  Assuming upstream have a
sensible naming scheme and stable location for tarballs, then
‘something something release tag something download the tarball’.

This is not a fully formed idea, but I think we should keep it simple,
unlike Debian's horribly complex
https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit

Rich.