Re: mp3 encoding now ok

On 14 May 2017 at 15:43, Simone Caronni <negativo17@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Simone Caronni <negativo17@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 6:17 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowi@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> What about the rest of MPEG-1, namely Layer II audio (MP2) encoding (e.g.
>>> twolame) and video decoding (e.g. smpeg)?
>>

>> Any chance to have this question answered? For "decoding ok" in November
>> last year, it was implied that MPEG-1 Layer I/II/III was fine (libmad etc.),
>> but for "encoding ok" this does not seem as clear.
>

> Also these pages should be updated, I guess:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/MP3
>
> I'm not sure I have the correct information for making the edit myself.
>
> Can someone also point me to a page about the other restricted formats that
> are not yet allowed? Like H.265/HEVC, H.264 (not OpenH264), etc.

The person who usually is the only one allowed to change these pages
is on travel and will be for a couple more days. They are our contact
into the lawyers who can give an opinion. As it being an opinion, it
is not an answer (which usually only a court can give). Being that
lawyers have a lot of research to try and craft any opinion.. it also
takes time.

Because the list of formats is very large, the list for what is not
allowed can not be exhaustive. It is easier to instead say which
formats are allowed.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.