Re: RPM boolean dependencies in Requires

El jue, 06-04-2017 a las 12:40 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones escribió:
> I have a package which needs GNU Privacy Guard (GPG) at runtime.  It
> can either run gpg (v1) or gpg2, as it uses a subset of the features
> supported by both, and the program searches for both binaries.
>
> The natural way to express this as an RPM dependency would be:
>
>   Requires:     (gnupg or gnupg2)
>
> Unfortunately this is forbidden by the packaging rules:
>
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Rich.2FBoolean_
> dependencies
>
> (BTW the link in that section is wrong - it should go to:
> http://rpm.org/user_doc/boolean_dependencies.html )
>
> This admonition was added in:
>
>   https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Packaging:Guidelines&di
> ff=prev&oldid=441810
>
> What's not explained is why, except that it "causes issues with the
> package updates process".  It seems as if the or-rule above would be
> simple enough, so what's the exact problem?
>
> Rich.

Even when we think we have everything in place to support rich deps, we
are going to have to tread very carefully. There is likely a bunch of
corner cases forgotten. Including potentially anything that tries to
read a rpm. we will need to do extensive testing in staging before we
can let things loose. To ensure that we can fully support them. I would
had to say to people go for it and we find some thing hidden in a
corner that will take us a year solid to fix and force everyone to undo
the changes.

This is a good example of why we can not develop new features in
isolation, instead we need to work as a whole. we have plenty to learn
from the pain of rich deps and dnf, changing core pieces is hard, and
historically we have done a bad job of documenting all the
interdependencies, I will put my hand up first as having contributed to
 the problem. I just want us to make steps to get better going forward.

Dennis