Re: YAST for Fedora?

You either love YaST or you don't. The advantage is it's one stop
shopping. But like any shopping mall, it can be confusing to find what
you're looking for, and that lasts until you've successfully left the
parking lot.

It has a ton of options. Discoverability is a problem until you're
fairly familiar with the tool. Understanding what it's done, whether
it's done it, is a problem. I think it'd take a lot of work to make
sure it's not stepping on all the other ways we already have to set
things in Fedora. There'd be a lot of overlap. And that itself would
just add confusion.

GNOME Shell's search is pretty cool. My recommendation is make that
better if people are spending too much time looking for things. Type
ssh into search and the first option is the Sharing panel where Remote
Login is found. Neat! That's a lot better than digging around in a
monolithic program.

Two substantial parts to YaST that just aren't applicable to Fedora:
package updates and software installation, Fedora has GNOME Software
for this; and managing system snapshots and rollbacks, Fedora is
working on rpm-ostree/atomic workstation and flatpaks for this. So
once YaST gets pruned down, I'm not really sure what's left, but I'd
sooner look for enhancement elsewhere than include YaST in Fedora.

Chris Murphy