Re: switching libcurl back to OpenSSL and providing the libcurl-minimal subpackage

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:45:13 David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 15:52 +0200, Kai Engert wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 15:31 +0200, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> > > Anyway, I guess we should move this discussion to some curl- or
> > > nss-related  channel...
> >
> > The question remains, if it makes sense to switch back to openssl, if the
> > consequence is a loss in completeness of certificate trust checking.
> >
> > In my opinion, a little bit of space saving shouldn't be a sufficient
> > argument for removing existing security functionality.
>
> FWIW I don't care much about "a little bit of space saving".
>
> I've been advocating that we build curl against something other than
> NSS for a long time, given that it violates our packaging guidelines
> because NSS doesn't properly integrate with the p11-kit configured
> tokens and doesn't support RFC7512 — and nss-pem fails to support lots
> of key files.
>
> I was thinking of GnuTLS though, which AUIU *would* have supported the
> non-trivial trust metadata because it uses p11-kit-trust.so/libnssckbi
> just like NSS does.
>
> I'm not sure what reasoning there was for switching to OpenSSL instead
> of GnuTLS...?

It was not my decision to be honest.  Nevertheless, one objective reason
could be that libcurl already loads OpenSSL libraries transitively as a
dependency of libssh2.  So after switching libcurl to OpenSSL, only one
crypto library will be sufficient for curl at run time.

Kamil