Re: power management

On 04/07/2017 05:04 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Powertop, maybe it ought to be a feature request for F27, and see if a
> bunch of bug reports happen during the beta *shrug*. I've used it on
> an ancient and new laptop, of different manufacture, and haven't had a
> problem. But of course if it puts e.g. USB bus to sleep and there's a
> bug preventing it from waking up when someone plugs a flash drive in,
> that'd be pretty annoying as default behavior if this is a
> possibility.

Powertop by itself doesn't set any tunables on boot - it's more of a
debugging tool. While that means it won't break anything, it also will
have no effect for most users, making it mostly uninteresting as a
feature request.

For stuff like framebuffer compression, the Intel driver only enables it
on sufficiently new hardware where it's expected bugs are less likely.
Maybe some similar heuristic could be used for setting default tunables,
but I'm not sure what it would be without specific examples.

thermald seems to be something else entirely - it's for thermal
throttling. This might prevent the thermal MCE's that pop up when my
machine overheats, but as far as I can tell is an independent issue.