Re: switching libcurl back to OpenSSL and providing the libcurl-minimal subpackage

On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 18:22 +0200, Kai Engert wrote:
> I would like to make you aware that the certificate validation of openssl isn't
> as complete as in NSS.
>
> For example, NSS is able to handle the blacklisted/distrusted CAs, which have
> been published by Mozilla, and are being made available as part of the ca-
> certificates package, while I believe openssl isn't.
>
> In addition, a few CA distrust mechanisms have been implemented at the NSS code
> level, and no equivalent mechanisms are currently being implemented at the
> openssl level [1].

I don't believe this is accurate. There is an extended certificate
format which OpenSSL will accept which allows you to indicate specific
trust or *dis*trust of a given certificate for specific purposes. You
could, I think, use this format to produce a certificate file which
basically says "I distrust this CA certificate for all purposes".

I wrote a bit about this at
https://www.happyassassin.net/2015/01/16/openssl-trust-and-purpose/ .

Corrections welcome, of course...
--