Re: switching libcurl back to OpenSSL and providing the libcurl-minimal subpackage

On Wednesday, April 05, 2017 11:38:35 Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Kamil Dudka wrote:
> > Anyway, do not overestimate the power of HTTP/2.  It will not
> > transparently
> > bring you better transfers for free.  You can speak HTTP/2 even while
> > using
> > the curl tool but it is mainly useful for testing.  If you want to take
> > the
> > advantage of the HTTP/2 features, you need to use the multi API of libcurl
> > and your software built on top of libcurl needs to be aware of the HTTP/2
> > protocol.
>
> libostree does that -
> https://github.com/ostreedev/ostree/blob/c937305c0e7f5609273e25753912c294b0
> 40a6ac/src/libostree/ostree-fetcher-curl.c
>
> In the exploded archive case, I get quite a lot of speedup.
>
> librepo is not quite as good at this yet, but it matters less for RPMs.

I cannot see CURLOPT_PIPEWAIT or CURLMOPT_PIPELINING options in your code.
They are needed if you want to take advantage of the core HTTP/2 features.
Otherwise you can slightly benefit from the compressed HTTP headers but you
are not using the HTTP/2 pipelining/multiplexing.  I would suggest to have a
look at the http2-download.c example:

https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/curl-7_53_0/docs/examples/http2-download.c

Kamil