Re: Mass issue: /usr/bin/env dependency

On 29 March 2017 at 14:26, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> ---
> Fedora ships numerous executables written in Python. Many of them contain
> the shebang line: #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> However, this makes it difficult to install alternative versions of Python
> on the system. If a user wishes e.g. to install python 3 on the system, and
> have a /usr/local/python in her PATH, this will break these executables.
>
> These system executables are expecting to use the system python, and thus
> should use: #!/usr/bin/python."
>
> Last line of this fragment says clearly that  #!/usr/bin/python should be
> used.

I don't seem to get the above argument. Why do they not consider a
design where the system executables are expecting to use non-system
python when available?

Suppose, as a developer, I need to test my software and scripts
against multiple versions of Python. What is the recommended way of
doing this? Symlinks? Alternatives?

By the way, I find the original post quite difficult to read. May I suggest:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma#Uses_in_English

Thanks,
Orcan