Re: Is Pagure slow for you too?

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On 03/23/2017 08:28 AM, Brian Exelbierd wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 23, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> >> I wonder if it's just me or others also have problems with
> >> performance of Pagure. Pagure is always slower for me than e.g.
> >> Github, but it's bearable. However, there are times when I have to
> >> wait easily 30-60 sec to load a page which makes Pagure almost
> >> impossible to work with.
> >
> > I talked this out with some folks on #fedora-admin and they seemed
> > to think it was because pagure is not distributed and is hosted at
> > a single US based site.  My connections from the EU are so slow
> > that I get the notification from fedmesg in IRC before the screen
> > redraws.
>
> Yeah, pagure.io is (currently) located at OSUOSL (Oregon, USA). While
> it has pretty great connectivity, it's about on the opposite side of
> the world from eu. ;(

It doesn't have to be slow just because it's on the opposite side of
the world. I'm in Europe, and various US-based websites that I frequent
load in two to three seconds. These are small sites that surely couldn't
afford to have servers in multiple locations. One is in Alaska, 19 hops
from me, and loads consistently in three seconds. One page with many
small pictures took five seconds.

Pagure.io is 11 hops from me. The ping response time is currently steady
between 200 and 205 milliseconds, and the Pagure pages I probed loaded
in two to three seconds, same as the other sites I compared it to. If
it's slow for some people, then it's at least not primarily because of
geographical distance.

Björn Persson