Re: automated packaging

On Thu, 2017-03-23 at 09:35 +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 23.3.2017 v 09:23 Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos napsal(a):
> > What I was
> > interested is whether there is plan or intention of improving the
> > fedora infrastructure for packagers by making these part of our
> > daily
> > work-flow.
>
> It depends. :)
> I use Tito daily and it saves me a lot of time. However some people
> find it too complicate/less powerfull/hard to
> understand/not enough powerfull... so they use some other tool.
> People are different and they like different tools. And I'm afraid
> that fedpkg is biggest common denominator.
>
> So I would say: go ahead, write blogposts about your tool, continue
> to enhance it or join your effort with some other
> tool from the list Colin compiled. But there is 0% chance that it
> will be wide enforced tool for all Fedora contributors.

Note that this is not my tool, and my post is not about imposing any
specific tool. What I'm trying to suggest here is to move to automated
packaging, not talk about using a tool.

That is, being able to tie certain packages to certain upstream streams
per release using the fedora infrastructure. That is, set package xyz,
tied to upstream 1.2.x branch, and update as needed (maybe with manual
confirmation/review from maintainer, maybe not).

It is the monkey work I would like to eliminate.

regards,
Nikos