Re: Static libraries in Fedora distribution (Was: Re: [Help Wanted] PPC64LE build for thrift)

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 01:38:31AM +0000, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> On 18 March 2017 at 22:26, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I read through the whole thread and I still don't understand why
> > packaging glibc-static in Fedora is not a good thing.
> >

> I've already described this multiple times trying to use different
> descriptions/analogies about well known *glibc NSS ABI issue*.
> You cannot fix this issue in *any libc implementation which is using NSS*.

Apps don't need to make use of the affected APIs in glibc and even if they
do the problem is not a show stopper as long as you keep the app build in
sync. So while this is a potential problem, it is not a blocking problem
that justifies throwing the baby out with the bath water.

> Other reasons are like constant changes in kernel<>userspace changes on all
> unices are part of the problem as well.

Linux doesn't constantly break kernel<->user ABI, so that's a non-issue.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|