Re: -Wno-format vs. -Werror=format-security

On 02/27/2017 01:35 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As you might know, redhat-rpm-config is adding -Wall -Werror=format-security
> into $RPM_OPT_FLAGS/%{optflags} by default.
> I've recently fixed a bug #1425825 where -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wall
> or -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wformat etc. actually disabled the
> -Wformat-security warning (unlike -Wall -Wformat-security -Wall etc. that
> behaved as intended before).
> Now, this change might have a consequence on some packages, in particular
> e.g. if you append -Wno-format to the standard optflags in some Makefile,
> you might get errors because -Wno-format doesn't disable the explicitly
> specified suboptions like -Wformat-security and having -Wformat-security
> enabled and -Wno-format is an error.  The fix is if you really need
> to add -Wno-format, also add -Wno-format-security to cancel the default
> -Werror=format-security provided by redhat-rpm-config.
>
> 	Jakub

I'd like to bump this again to get attention for it.

While we are working on generating the Base Runtime through the module build
service, we are rebuilding many of the packages that are fundamental to Fedora
(or for building a package that is). A sizable number of these packages are
failing due to issues with the above -Werror=format-security change in Fedora.
It's very unfortunate that this wasn't discovered prior to the mass-rebuild.

My colleagues and I are attempting to fix and file BZs for each of these we
find, but if you have a bit of spare time, please run a scratch-build on your
C/C++ packages and check whether they are failing to build in the current F26
buildroot. It would be very helpful.

Thank you.