Re: gdm processes

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 08:05:20PM +0000, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> On 14 March 2017 at 19:39, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > This doesn't show much, after being wrapped ;)
> >

> OK. Please tell a bit more about what kind of wrapping you been using here
> :)
In mutt your message appears to be wrapped to ~80 columns. I think mine
is not wrapped, at least it appears this way to me.
But in the web interface, both look the same, bad:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/E7WZA3UNFI6PI3KV2SOTB4PEXEBKC2YE/.

> > shows that gdm user is running whole set of processes running in full
> > > separated X/Wayland session.
> > It's not so bad really. The next-to-last column is cpu time. It's
> > completely negligible if you consider that this machine has been up
> > since Feb 26. The column before ?/tty1 is RSS, and it's also small.
> > gnome-shell is a bit big with 88MB, but that's the price we pay for
> > feature-full login screen.
> >

> As long as gdm user has some possibility to log in to the system other
> users I would be really unhappy to discover that some security bug in those
> processes was used to login into my system some parasites :)
gdm does not listen on the network, so whether or not gdm is still
running after you log doesn't make that much difference. A local user
can always cause gdm to be launched, by using the switch-user functionality.
It would be nicer of course for it to go away after login, since many
people just log in once per reboot.

Zbyszek