Re: Default permissions on /dev/kvm

> I'm fuzzy about the issue faced with containers. Containers will usually
> have a separate /dev that is populated by the container mgmt engine (whether
> docker, libvirt, lxc or something else). That mgmt engine is responsible for
> setting permissions of /dev/kvm in the container's /dev if the user asked for
> /dev/kvm to be made available. udev should never run inside a container - it
> is only supposed to run in host context. So any udev rules that manipulate
> /dev/kvm permissions will only ever be used in host context and never have
> any effect on containers.
>
> The bug listed above doesn't actually describe any real problem with
> containers & /dev/kvm - my reading is that the bug is just thinking
> about a hypothetical  future problem, but since udev isn't involved
> in containers' /dev mgmt, I don't think there's a bug that needs fixing
> here.

$user here.

The problem was real, but I don't know how legitimate the need for
change is. I opened the bug so that we could have a discussion about
it.

Basically as a user that wants to run libvirt inside a container I was
facing issues (permission denied). I noticed randomly that if I had
installed qemu on the host before I tried to run libvirt inside of a
container everything was fine. If I started from a fresh system (no
qemu ever installed on the host) and tried to run that same container,
I could not do it. Cole Robinson helped me track down that it was a
permissions issue on /dev/kvm itself. Then I found the permission
fixup code in the qemu rpm, which led me to think it might be better
to open up the permissions even if qemu is not installed so that
containerized libvirt use cases could succeed without having to
workaround it.

To workaround the person starting the container would need to change
perms on /dev/kvm or have the container do that itself before running
libvirt. I'm just saying that if we put this "hack" in qemu, then it
seems like we might as well have it outside of qemu so that the 'qemu
is delivered by a container' use case can work.

Dusty