Re: Packages dropping anything in /etc/systemd/system

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 06:31:46AM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> Hello,
> as per subject, what is the stance on dropping anything there from a
> rpm ? Either marked as %{config} or not ?
>
> My naive reading of the Packaging guidelines is that nothing should be
> dropped in there by a package, but the guidelines only explicitly talk
> about not putting "service" files in there.
>
> There is now a debate with a package maintainer that is putting in the
> etc/systemd/system/<..> directory what he calls a "configuration file,
> not a unit file".
>
> I seek clarification about this so that we can settle this matter.
>
> Regards,
> Simo.

Given that the packaging guidelines are vague, I'd say theres nothing that
explicitly prevents him from adding configuration there.  That said, it seems to
make very little sense to do so, given that there is no precident, and there is
lots of precident for alternate locations (environment settings should go in
/etc/sysconfig, i.e. %sysconfdir, application specific settings in private
/etc/<app> subdirectory, and so on).  At the very least I would argue that
configuration in /etc/systemd should be configuration specific to the systemd
daemon (see the various *.conf files there), and stuff under .../system is
clearly for the placement of unit files.  Adding non-unit files to that location
just makes systemd have to iterate longer when reloading units as it scans the
directory there.

Neil