Re: make: gtk-update-icon-cache: Command not found

On 03/02/2017 10:11 AM, Martin Gansser wrote:
> the build of cmst fails on rawhide and f26 maybe on other version too.
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//work/tasks/4850/18134850/build.log
>
> for f26:
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=18135093

Looks like the package is trying to execute gtk-update-icon-cache to
regenerate the icon cache, and erroring out because it doesn't find the
executable (missing BuildRequires). However, I would _not_ add
'BuildRequires: gtk-update-icon-cache' here, but instead fix the
upstream build scripts so that they don't run gtk-update-icon-cache
during the build.

In the context of Fedora packaging, we have the build step and install
completely separated and the icon cache regeneration needs to happen
when the binary rpm is installed on the user's machine, not during the
build time. Because of that, I would fix this by just dropping the
gtk-update-icon-cache step from upstream build scripts.

Please discuss this with upstream. Another solution would be to
conditionalize it on the existence of DESTDIR, so that when DESTDIR is
set, then skip running gtk-update-icon-cache. This would also work for
Fedora.

--
Hope this helps,
Kalev