Re: F27 Self Contained Change: Bodhi Non-RPM Artifacts

> Bodhi, the Fedora Updates System, should be able to process more than just
> RPMs.
>
> As Fedora starts to deliver more than just RPMs and ISOs, we need a
> way to handle delivering updates to these artifacts. Bodhi currently
> handles this workflow for RPMs only, but we want to start using it for
> other content, such as Docker containers, Flatpak apps, OSTrees, etc.
> If it can be tagged in Koji, it should be accepted by Bodhi.

Why do we want to deliver such blobs as parts of our releases? I can see
building containers or OSTrees FROM the Bodhi artefacts (just like ISOs),
but why would we want them AS Bodhi artefacts?

I think shipping containers or containerized apps as a replacement for
packages, which is what this proposal ultimately amounts to (by letting them
use workflows, and presumably delivery channels, intended for packages), is
totally a step in the wrong direction.

See also this talk:
http://mirror.as35701.net/video.fosdem.org/2017/Janson/dinosaurs.vp8.webm
which brings the issues to the point (but IMHO draws too weak conclusions
considering all the issues that make containerized applications a totally
counterproductive step backwards).

        Kevin Kofler