Re: F27 System Wide Change: No More Alphas

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm glad someone brought up Tumbleweed because every so often I build a VM of Tumbleweed, a VM of Rawhide and a VM of Debian "sid" just to see if I could use any of them as a workstation day-to-day. What I'm looking for mostly is the latest GNOME desktop, Firefox browser, Virtual Machine Manager stack and Docker stack. LibreOffice is nice but I can live without it, given that I have RStudio Server and PostgreSQL / PostGIS running in (Debian) containers.

[snip]

After I posted this, I went through the Tumbleweed virtual machine exercise again, but instead of doing containers, I decided to replicate the apps on my current F25 workstation - R / RStudio, Calibre, QGIS and PostGIS are the main ones. The bottom line is, while the Tumbleweed kernel and GNOME / LibreOffice packages are nice and modern, the same cannot be said for QGIS and PostGIS. I couldn't even get current builds for them out of their experimental repos! I'd have to build them from source to get the latest stable PostGIS and QGIS.

PostGIS I can run in a container, but QGIS is a desktop app - I'd have to load up a bunch of Qt -devel packages to even build it. So to get a modern GNOME workstation from binaries, my options are Fedora, Ubuntu / Mint or Debian. A Fedora rolling release is looking very good to me right now.
--
How many people can stand on the shoulders of a giant before the giant collapses?