Re: F27 System Wide Change: No More Alphas

On 02/21/2017 01:09 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:24:21 -0500
Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Kevin Kofler
<kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dennis Gilmore wrote:
I do not get what you mean by your statement, it is extremely vague
with no detail. can you please expand on it in the context of the
change? and the changes it will bring to the entire workflow of
rawhide?

Rawhide is just nowhere near working, half the packages have broken
dependencies due to not building with the latest GCC.

Thats a bit over dramatic don't you think?
No. I fully agree with Kevin K.

Feb 15 rawhide is 100% dysfunctional.

968 currently on the FTBFS list, and even there many of those don't
have broken deps because the previous build still works.
Many of the packages you are referring to probably are parts of dep chains, which gradually get fixed or have been missed during the official "mass-rebuild".

What you are missing: Due to you keeping the package having been rebuilt since Feb 15 behind closed doors, NOBODY outside RH can have tested them and is able to go after run-time bugs these package introduce.

I also wonder if we're thinking about this problem all wrong. What if
the answer isn't to increase the friction in Rawhide, but instead to
create a regular output stream that people can use to be above
releases? That's more or less how Tumbleweed works, as it's
essentially snapshotted and published from Factory when it "checks
out" via the OpenQA gate. Now, OBS has the nice ability of being able
to have granular control of how publishing actually works. I think the
way Koji's tagging mechanism works may provide a similar capability,
and we could leverage that to produce something like mattdm's
oft-wanted "Fedora Bikeshed".

I think we can have a more stable rawhide without going to a higher
level here.

I do think we can do better on details, but I consider the whole idea of a "stable rawhide" to be self-contractory and naive, because it's current rawhide job to be "broken".

IMO, what you are doing basically is trying to render rawhide into a "rolling release" (A non-sense of its own, IMO) and to shift rawhide out of the public (== community)

Ralf