Re: F27 System Wide Change: No More Alphas

On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 20:49 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 18:24 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > I for one don't actually want Rawhide to be gated because it makes
> > > things much harder in terms of properly developing new features. We're
> > > simply not capable of being as good as OpenSUSE in terms of automation
> > > to be able to pull off the feats they do. There were major changes to
> > > how OpenSUSE did packaging to begin with to be able to pull off what
> > > they did, and I simply don't think anyone here is prepared to do even
> > > a small bit of that yet.
> >
> > This is vague and non-actionable. What, specifically, do you think will
> > be a problem, and what, specifically, do you think needs changing to
> > fix the problem?
>
> So, off the top of my head, there are a few things here:

<snip>

It seems a fundamental assumption in more or less all your points is
that this process would involve Bodhi. But that's not a part of the
proposal. Nothing in the proposal involves using Bodhi.

> * We need actual post-build checks to occur right after the build,
> using rpmlint and other tools. Right now, no one knows *anything*
> about the usefulness of a package until we submit to Bodhi.

This is not in fact the case. The Taskotron tests are run for every
non-scratch build in Koji (AIUI). That includes all Rawhide builds; we
already run all Taskotron tests for all Rawhide package builds, and
packagers can see the results in the Taskotron web UI or sign up for
FMN notifications.

The most obvious place where you *see* the results at present is in the
Bodhi web UI, but that's just because people often go look at that UI.
All that's happening there is the Bodhi client-side Javascript is
querying ResultsDB for all tests related to the packages in the update.
But the tests were actually run as soon as the package build happened.

> Some other nice-to-haves that should probably make our lives a bit easier:

These are all interesting points but I really don't see any reason why
they are particularly related to this proposal.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey