Re: GRIPE: A package is not FTBFS if the dependencies can't be installed

>> > I received a FTBFS[1] on one of my packages for the F26 rebuild only to
>> > find out the only reason it failed (that I know of thus far) is that not
>> > all the dependencies could be installed.
>> >
>> > The root cause seems to be that not all dependent packages were rebuilt
>> > when boost was updated to 1.63. Since I maintain said package I'm taking
>> > care of it now...
>>
>> But in that case, such package is actually FTBFS (because BR cannot be installed).
>> You have to modify dependency package by yourself or urge maintainers of such
>> packages to modify them to resolve FTBFS on your package.
>>
>> The correct way to show this is to make FTBFS bug on your package blocked by
>> ("Depends on") bug reports for such depdendency package.
>
> Filing bugs for transitive FTBFS during a mass rebuild isn't
> particularly helpful as it is done now. Instead of the current generic
> text, it'd be great if the bug could indicate that the failure was
> because some dep is FTBFS.  If those bugs could be made to
> depend on the FTBFS bugs of the deps, that'd be even nicer.
>
> I think that's another case where we do the easy thing by opening bugs,
> without taking into account the amount of wasted maintainer attention on an
> issue that they cannot (without provenpackager privs) actually solve themselves.

Basically to go from simple logic to something a lot more complex you
need to be able to query for and apply quite a bit of
power/api/understanding which the simple script used doesn't have, and
likely at the time of writing infomation and compute power wasn't
available so it's a means of highlighting there is an issue that needs
further investigation. rel-eng has limited resources and basically to
date it hasn't been seen as a priority over other more pressing needs
for resources. Like everything else in Fedora the code for the script
is public [1].

Peter

[1] https://pagure.io/releng