Re: Fixing kmodtool / dropping kmodtool from redhat-rpm-config

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 7:53 AM, Stanislav Kozina <skozina@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Neal,
>
>>> Hello Hans,
>>>
>>> (adding some more folks on CC..)
>>>
>>> You've correctly mentioned one of the problems with the kmod tools, that
>>> there are several versions in a various stages of loneliness. The other
>>> problem is that the usage of them is not trivial, eg. the
>>> %kernel_module_package macro (as the main user of the kmodtool) is quite
>>> complicated and limiting in the options you might need for the kmod
>>> build.
>>>
>>> For this reason we have recently developed a new tool which can be used
>>> build a kmod. It doesn't use anything from the kernel-module-macros
>>> package,
>>> instead, it helps you to create a correct directory structure, generate a
>>> .spec file and package your kernel modules using this .spec file. This
>>> should make the kmod build much more self-contained. The tool has been
>>> recently also added to the Fedora COPR repository:
>>>
>>> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ersin/ddiskit/
>>>
>>> Because of the current status of the content of the kernel-module-macros
>>> package I think it would be better to just remove it from Fedora
>>> completely.
>>> The ddiskit v.3 should be used as a replacement, we plan to propose it as
>>> Fedora base package soon. The kernel module support from the
>>> /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/find-provides script might also be removed, together
>>> with the /usr/sbin/weak-modules script.
>>>
>>> It's worth mentioning that building kmods for Fedora won't make much
>>> sense
>>> because Fedora doesn't have a stable kernel ABI.
>>>
>> So how do you handle when kmods and userspace tools are built as part
>> of a single package?
>

> Why that would need to be in a single package? You can always create two
> packages that depend on each other. Or enhance ddiskit to cover your use
> case;-)

I mean they are built from a single source package. The kmod and the
utils would obviously be separate packages. :)

>> It seems like ddiskit is a rather myopic
>> solution. Not to mention, kmodtool has a very large userbase and this
>> is literally the first time I'm hearing of something like ddiskit.
>

> The first version of ddiskit dates at least to 2007, at least 10 years back:
> http://people.redhat.com/linville/ddiskit/
>
>> In addition, while you consider it to be valueless to offer kmod
>> packages, I would argue otherwise.
>

> I didn't say that.
>
>> Just because our tooling doesn't
>> allow us to track kernel releases and automatically build/rebuild
>> kernel module packages to target new kernels, doesn't mean others
>> don't (notably, building kmod packages with OBS tracking fedora
>> updates repo works quite well, and akmod works brilliantly as an
>> alternative path) and that others wouldn't find it useful anyway.
>

> I think that this is the source of our disconnection. That's a very
> different use case we're targeting.
> The kmodtool, and, most importantly, the weak-modules script is targeting
> packaging of kmods without recompilation with each kernel release. That's
> what doesn't make much sense on Fedora.

We could just disable weak-modules in Fedora. In fact, why haven't we?
It is useful for CentOS/RHEL, though.

>> RPM Fusion has been maintaining the kmod packaging standard since
>> Fedora (imho, wrongfully) expelled the specification and stopped
>> developing it. This is what ultimately led to the crazy fragmentation
>> we have across Fedora, RHEL, RPM Fusion, and other groups.
>

> For the module recompilation case it seems that DKMS is the preferred
> solution, as Panu also said. Why does RPM Fusion don't use that?

Where did Panu say that? I didn't see a message from him in this thread...

>> Instead, I propose that the ddiskit developers fold their work into
>> kmodtool and the kmod packaging work that RPM Fusion has done, so that
>> we have a unified solution.
>

> I don't think that these two different cases should be mixed together.

Are the use-cases really different though? What makes backport kmod
packages so different from regular ones?