Re: F25 updates/updates-testing failures in bodhi

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 09:18:30 -0600
Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/26/2017 09:13 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > f25 updates testing you mean?
> >
> > It's the atomic part of the compose failing. Folks are working on
> > it.
> >
> > It's being tracked in:
> > https://pagure.io/releng/issue/6602
>
> I realize that breakage doesn't happen often, but when it does it
> more often takes days to repair. The down times I've seen seem to
> stem from "rpm-ostree" issues. If we're going to bring in new,
> un-tested features (that only bodhi uses) can we get a staging
> instance setup for bodhi? That way we can attempt to reduce these
> breakages? Any other commercial entity would have the same, tiered
> environment setup.

We do have a staging bodhi setup. The problem is that the composes are
done with the contents of the compose. So, when a new rpm-ostree update
is submitted to f25-updates-testing that very new update is used in the
compose. I don't think it's practical to first try every compose in
staging with an update that could be in the compose.

I do think there might be some things we could do better here tho, like
if a compose fails, have a way to drop just those few packages that are
causing the failure out and repushing the rest until we can sort it
out. (and making this the SOP, not just a last resort). Or perhaps have
some test/CI of the rpm-ostree set of packages that confirms they work
in the env that bodhi uses before they are submitted as updates.

In any case, sorry f25-updates-testing is stopped up.
People are working on it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

kevin