Re: Packages FTBFS with Python 3.6

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 21:26:03 -0800
Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 13:00 +0100, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> > python-gensim
>
> Our version of this is very old. The current upstream version looks
> closer to being buildable, but requires the 'smart_open' library,
> which isn't packaged for Fedora yet. I'm not really interested in
> packaging that just to fix this, given that nothing else in the
> distro depends on gensim, AFAICT.

This brought to mind a tangential thought.  It's too bad that when
version updates break backwards compatibility, that the software isn't
renamed.  It's not like there is a shortage of letters.  Then, the two
versions could be installed in parallel, and those that can't be
updated could still be accessed with the old version.  Migration
wouldn't need to be an all or nothing thing, but could be a gradual
shift.

I thought something like
pythoo, pythop, pythoq, etc.
or
pythpn, pythqn, pythrn, etc.

Or, now for something completely different,
parrot.  Or defunct.  Or gastric.  Or bflsplk.

Maybe for python4 this will happen.

And now, back to your regular programming.