Re: Headsup: Xserver update switching Intel GPUs from xorg-x11-drv-intel to -modesetting by default coming to rawhide

On 01/11/2017 10:52 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
On a benchmark that doesn't reflect real usage very well, but sure.
Can you drill down on this a bit? Which subtests get most worse?

Unfortunately the state of benchmarking in Linux is extremely poor. I'm not here to discuss the non-existent ecosystem of performance testing, but I appreciate that you are willing to look at the test results.

I have compiled the results into a spreadsheet. There is not one sub-test that performs worse than another. The overall times are slower with modesetting.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YWC0C8rxIpGt185iTSjs2cC1vlaFg412JMgZliST1P8/

If I could also reproduce this performance delta in other reproducible and measurable means I would gladly do so. The reduction of performance will have negative impact on battery life, which is important to me on the platform I am running the tests on: a laptop.