Re: BuildRequires on obsoleted packages provided by Python

On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 12:44 +0200, Kalev Lember wrote:
> On 08/31/2016 02:10 PM, Charalampos Stratakis wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > While checking out the SPEC file of python, it seems there were some packages that, while separate at some point, they got included in python's stdlib and then obsoleted as standalone packages (thus to cope with the change, python was obsoleting these packages and providing them as well in the SPEC). So every package that currently (Build)Requires any of these packages will essentially drag python with it.
> >
> > I will remove these provides soon, since the packages were orphaned long time ago, but the packages that still require them, will need to be fixed and (Build)Require python instead.
>
> My suggestion would be to request provenpackager access and just fix all
> those packages yourself in rawhide. If you file bugs, these are probably
> going to take quite a bit of time to get fixed and you won't be able to
> drop the compatibility provides for several Fedora releases.

Please be careful with such 'fixes'. Some specs are also built for EPEL
6; in EPEL 6, some of these (e.g. python-argparse) are still separate
packages.

I kind of agree with Neal / Kevin that removing these is pointless and
unnecessary. Now I will have to conditionalize my affected specs
somehow in order to keep using them to do builds both for EPEL 6 (where
 I *must* include Requires: python-argparse) and Rawhide (where I now
*cannot* include Requires: python-argparse)...which is a pain.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey