Re: Proposal: Rethink Fedora multilib support (Take Two!)

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> * Switch to using the Debian style of multi-arch layout, which instead of
> /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 uses /usr/lib/$ARCH-linux-gnu. Benefits to this
> would include the emergence of a de-facto standard for system layout
> between the major distributions.
[snip]
> == multi-arch layout ==
> * Moving the locations of all of the system libraries would potentially
> still break third-party applications that were compiled to expect
> libraries to be in the /usr/lib[64] paths. This would be a similar problem
> to the UsrMove change and would likely be solved the same way; by
> maintaining symlinks in the old locations for some reasonable migration
> period. Given the enormous number of packages involved and the fact that
> it's not a simple directory rename, we may need to add a hack into
> rpmbuild to automatically generate these symlinks in the old location.
>
> * Switching to this layout might give a false (or possibly accurate, in
> some cases) impression that one could expect Debian/Ubuntu packages to
> function "out of the box" on Fedora (if using something like Alien).
> Education is key here.

* This change contradicts the FHS. The FHS clearly specifies that
  arch-specific libdirs should be named lib*, not lib/*. (It is funny that
  Debian, which otherwise follows the FHS so strictly as to even have
  refused to use the commonly-used libexec because it was not in the FHS
  before 3.0, decided to violate the FHS unilaterally that way.)

* This change is backwards-incompatible. IMHO, binary compatibility with
  Debian is not worth the backwards compatibility break, especially
  considering that they are the ones not following the FHS.

* I do not see any practical advantage of Debian multiarch over FHS
  multilib.

        Kevin Kofler