Re: Proposal: Rethink Fedora multilib support

I'm wholeheartedly against this.  I also view personally containers *just*
as a thing to solve subset of real-world problems, but not a army knife
for everything.  IOW, enforcing users to use containers instead of
multilib feature looks a bit hostile.

Have other distros already done this movement?  I'm almost sure we
shouldn't pioneer this.

IMO: multilib && Modularization efforts && containerization efforts
shouldn't collide.

More in-line comments ...

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:03:50 AM CET Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> ## Advantages
>
> * Simplification of build-tree creation. We wouldn't have to maintain the lists
> and hacks that are required to make sure that multilib packages land in the
> correct repositories.

If that's a real issue, we should avoid working on hacks, and rather
invent a new way to _declare_ some (sub)package is designed to be
multilib, I filed this:
https://pagure.io/pungi/issue/500

> * Less duplication of content in the mirror networks.

That's not really duplication to me.

> * It will be simpler to create module content without having to
> reimplement all the multilib hacks of above. This is directly relevant
> to the Base Runtime module, whose prototype is today intentionally
> limited to the primary architecture (no multilib).

What's the reason to not have multilib in Base Runtime?  Is that because
it is hard to experiment with multilib in copr (rhbz#1393664) or what
hacks are you referring to?  The point of this remark is that there should
be a way to minimize hacks.

> * Requires us to maintain and keep up-to-date the 32-bit container base images.

This would be pros, but we should probably have 32-bit container anyways..

> ## Disadvantages
>
> * If we eliminate multilib entirely, all applications that use 32-bit libs will
> have to either install a 32-bit host OS or install into a container. This may be
> a difficult transition for some users.

.. user apps -> this looks like absolute showstopper IMO.

Even though there are also third-party package providers like skype --
where I would personally appreciate we either forced them to move to
container or provide x86_64 packages (or if there was really sufficient
open source alternative to make them obsolete)..
But I'm afraid such third party would rather drop Fedora support, which
would be bad especially for us..

Pavel