Re: Proposal: Rethink Fedora multilib support

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Japheth Cleaver <cleaver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/5/2017 9:12 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>
>> On 05/01/17 09:56 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> Teamviewer comes in an i686 only package for Fedora. So is there going
>>> to be this interim approach, and then yet another change when they're
>>> expected to use FlatPak? That's a lot of changes... And are these two
>>> approaches compatible with the other platforms they target, or are
>>> they just likely to drop the one it stops working on?
>>>
>>> I can hardly imagine Teamviewer is the only 32-bit only GUI program.
>>

>> There are all sorts of proprietary programs like Skype that are only
>> provided as 32-bit packages (there's a "skypeforlinux" package which
>> is 64-bit but it's an "alpha" release).
>>
>> Maybe it would work fine from inside a 32-bit container, I have no
>> idea, but we should be careful not to make it harder for normal users
>> to install and use software distributed outside Fedora. And not make
>> it harder for ISVs to provide RPMs that work on Fedora with minimal
>> effort.
>

> I feel like if this happens it will hasten the day when those of us
> primarily working in EL-variant land have to consider a need for a new,
> EL-forward, RPM-based open source "community" OS.

Can you elaborate why you think that?  Particularly the "EL-forward"
part.  I don't understand how Stephen's line of thinking is not
EL-forward.

> Fedora's role of breaking all sorts of things because $shinyNewParadigm --
> moving further and further from the semblance of stability available in just
> being an extrapolation of where RHEL and its derivatives end up -- does
> create certain operational borders. Eventually that friction becomes
> unbearable.

If it's containers you are talking about, then I'm even more confused.
You're aware that containers are a very important part of the Red Hat
ecosystem today, right?

The value add of any enterprise distribution is to take
$shinyNewParadigm, nurture it upstream, focus on stability and
performance of the technologies in it's own offerings, and provide
support.  Not having a vibrant community project where some of this
innovation can incubate is crippling any enterprise OS's ability to
remain flexible and relevant in the market place.  The days of RHEL
being _only_ the thing you use on large datacenter servers are pretty
much already gone.  It is that, and much more.

josh