Re: Proposal: Rethink Fedora multilib support

On jueves, 5 de enero de 2017 11:03:50 AM CST Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> # Overview
>
> For many years, Fedora has supported multilib by carrying
> parallel-installable libraries in /usr/lib[64]. This was necessary for a
> very long time in order to support 32-bit applications running on a 64-bit
> deployment. However, in today's new container world, there is a whole new
> option.
>
> I'd like to propose that we consider moving away from our traditional
> approach to multilib in favor of recommending the use of a 32-bit container
> runtime when needed on a 64-bit host.
I am not opposed, however I think we should possibly just have people enable
the 32 bit x86 repo instead of your proposal

> ## Advantages
>
> * Simplification of build-tree creation. We wouldn't have to maintain the
> lists and hacks that are required to make sure that multilib packages land
> in the correct repositories.
>
> * Less duplication of content in the mirror networks.
the content is hardlinked so this is not an issue

> * It will be simpler to create module content without having to reimplement
> all the multilib hacks of above. This is directly relevant to the Base
> Runtime module, whose prototype is today intentionally limited to the
> primary architecture (no multilib).
Nothing stops us supporting multilib as we do today, and not supporting in it
in modules

> * Requires us to maintain and keep up-to-date the 32-bit container base
> images.
We have never made 32 bit containers, so this would be a entirely new
deliverable.

> ## Disadvantages
>
> * If we eliminate multilib entirely, all applications that use 32-bit libs
> will have to either install a 32-bit host OS or install into a container.
> This may be a difficult transition for some users.
gcc would need to be reconfigured to not be able to build 32 bit binaries on
64 bit

>   * Mitigation: develop and maintain tools to ease this transition.
>
> * It is unlikely that any clean upgrade path would exist. (We could make it
> *technically* possible, but likely not without breaking 32-bit software not
> installed by RPM.
>
> * Requires us to maintain and keep up-to-date the 32-bit container base
> images. (Yes, this is both an advantage and disadvantage.)
given that i686 has been demoted this is a bigger issue. than it would heva
been otherwise. How will apps like skype wine etc work that need to connect to
X?

> ## Open Questions (non-exhaustive):
>
> * Can SSSD and systemd's 32-bit name-service modules work from within a
> container, talking to their host's service? Without that, 32-bit containers
> won't be able to resolve users, groups or hostnames.
>
> * Can we have 32-bit containers communicate with other local system APIs
> such as D-BUS on the host?
>
> * Do we need to care about 32-bit GUI applications on a 64-bit system?
> Should we decide that flatpak is the official answer for such cases?

Dennis