Re: Proposal: Rethink Fedora multilib support

On 01/05/2017 11:35 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 01/05/2017 10:19 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> Are we certain that it couldn't be run from within a container, though? Possibly
>> via a wrapper?
>
> I would have to investigate because I have never had a need to install a
> container. I've never gotten on board the "container train." :)
>
> My main concern would be the ability to run 32-bit graphical applications
> [games]. Would access to Mesa, NVIDIA proprietary, and AMDGPU-PRO proprietary
> drivers and libraries be as easy to setup as it is today?

"Would access to Mesa, NVIDIA proprietary, and AMDGPU-PRO proprietary drivers
and libraries be as easy to setup as it is today?"

Welp, there's LWN's quote of the week! ;-)

Kidding aside, you make a good point. Part of the reason for starting this
conversation is to figure out where the biggest pain points would be. Clearly,
Wine and third-party games are going to be one of those points and need
consideration.

I don't know enough about the low-level here to give a productive answer, but I
think this helps figure out which conversations we need to have.